How can I lock a Nest Learning Thermostat so that it can only be adjusted within a certain temperature range?
With the Nest Thermostat's Lock feature, you can lock the range of temperatures to which Nest Thermostat can be adjusted. Thermostat Lock can be activated using a 4 digit pin number once it’s been added to your Nest Account (Wi-Fi required).
When Thermostat Lock is enabled, anyone can change the temperature on the Nest Thermostat - but only within the range chosen when you locked the Nest Thermostat. The minimum range that can be set for Thermostat Lock is 5ºF. There is no maximum range. If you haven’t set up your Nest Account yet, you’ll need to do so before you can use this feature.
Unless someone has the PIN, they won’t be able to change the schedule or settings or access other features on your Nest Thermostat. All of these functions will still work on the Nest Account and Nest app, since it’s assumed the account holder is the one locking the thermostat.
The Thermostat Lock range applies only to temperature changes made on your Nest Thermostat. Setpoints that already exist in the Nest Thermostat's schedule will be used even if they are outside the Thermostat Lock range. To make sure your Nest Thermostat is always within the target range, you should also edit temperatures in the Nest Thermostat's schedule when you use Thermostat Lock.
Once your Nest Account is set up and your Nest Thermostat has been paired with your account, follow these steps to enable Thermostat Lock. You can lock it from the Nest Thermostat or from the Nest Account.
Here are the steps from the thermostat.
Press the ring on the Nest Thermostat to get the Nest menu.
- Choose SETTINGS from the menu.
- Press LOCK and confirm that you want to lock the thermostat.
- Enter a locking PIN that you can easily remember, and enter it again to confirm.
- Turn the ring to set the minimum and maximum allowed temperatures while locked.
Here are the steps for the Nest app or the Web.
- Log into your Nest Account
- Select the thermostat to lock.
- Choose SETTINGS.
- Select LOCK from the menu.
- Enter the locking PIN that you can easily remember, and enter it again to confirm.
- Drag the slider to set the minimum and maximum allowed temperatures while locked.
- Click the LOCK THERMOSTAT button.
To remove the Thermostat Lock just press the Nest Thermostat's ring and enter your PIN. You will need to set a new PIN each time you apply the Thermostat Lock. (You can use the same PIN as many times as you want.) Thermostat Lock can only be set on the Nest Learning Thermostat. However, if you forget your PIN, you can use the Nest Account to unlock your Nest Thermostat.